Sierra's Mallee Jacket

Sierra's Mallee Jacket

Today we're thrilled to welcome Sierra as a guest poster to our Muna and Broad blog. Sierra made our Mallee Jacket with Sunflower boiled wool fabric from Needle Sharp. You can find Sierra online at @sierraburrell on Instagram, on her blog, and she's also a regular contributor to the Curvy Sewing Collective.

Sierra's Golden Mallee Jacket

The boiled wool I used was from Needle Sharp. They sell kits that have indie sewing patterns and fabric pairings ready to go for your project. They also sell fabric separately, so I was able to purchase this boiled wool. It is 60% viscose and 40% wool, making it a lightweight jacket that still provides adequate warmth. It was about 76 degrees Fahrenheit when I took pictures so I was sweating in just a few minutes. I chose this color because it coordinates very well with other garments I've already made. I paired it with my Cashmerette Pembroke Tunic and corduroy Glebe Pants.

 I made both of these items last winter and I'm really excited that I have another garment that can be worn with them. I added a pop of color with my scarf and it made me like the outfit even better. I really enjoyed making this coat because I ended up with a very nice layering piece that didn't require difficult techniques or a lining. I think this is the perfect jacket for traveling because it will keep me warm but also take up less space in my suitcase than a  heavy coat with a lining. I like the boxy silhouette because it gives an effortless cool to any outfit.

I made this Mallee Jacket in size H based on my 54 inch bust measurement. Although my waist and hips put me in a smaller size, I wanted to make sure I had the intended amount of ease in the bust. I also wanted to make sure I had enough room to layer garments underneath. I did not make any adjustments to the pattern.

I decided to try this version without buttons because I don't think I'll ever need to close my jacket in this mild Georgia weather. I have a similar ready to wear coatigan that I wear open, so I figured I would wear this jacket open as well.

I'd never made shadow pockets before and they turned out pretty great. I did have to remind myself to check on the seam allowance for each step because it varies, but that didn't make the pattern difficult. I also really liked the unique finishing technique for the shoulder seams. I hadn't done that before. Overall, this was an easy make with clear instructions and a great outcome. I would definitely make this again.

Leave a comment

Please note, comments need to be approved before they are published.